Thursday, March 20, 2014

Featured Artist Kathy Anderson


Introducing Kathy Anderson of El Paso Clay Nation
PCAGOE featured artist for March 17 through Mar. 30
(Her work will be featured on our Facebook page throughout this time period.) 

Kathy started working with polymer clay about twenty-five years ago, when her mother showed her an article in Fiber Arts magazine about a new material for making buttons. Kathy says, "We were both quilters, and I was doing batik at the same time. Polymer clay was a godsend, as I was soon to become a new mother, and in a smaller space. Quilting and batik require a sprawling space, but claying can be done in a compact space.

It was color that drew me to my other crafts, and color is the center of my work with clay. It was a joy to learn to mix the colors, and to learn and develop techniques. Nothing smells as good as freshly condition sheet of raw clay, especially Kato Clay. There's a great fun in the surprises that come from polymer clay. I love my guild, and I'm so grateful for internet guides, bloggers, and archivists like Sage Bray and Cynthia Tinapple.

When I'm not in my studio, I mean my kitchen, I teach seventh grade English at Brown Middle School in El Paso. Go Bulldogs!"

Kathy lives with her husband and daughter, dog and cat. She enjoys growing vegetables, watching Food Network,and reading novels.

Find more of Kathy's work in these locations:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ElPasoClayNation and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11629575@N04/

No comments:

Post a Comment