Saturday, May 10, 2014

Featured Artist Jill Stone

Introducing Jill Stone of Beautified Essentials
PCAGOE featured artist for April 28 through May 11
 (View her work featured on our Facebook page throughout this time period.) 
 
Jill received a BS in ecology with an art minor. She has always enjoyed creating art that incorporates our natural environment. She enjoys making art that has a function- such as manicure sets, hair accessories, greeting cards, bottle stoppers, jewelry, light switch plate covers, etc. adorned with her art. Her work is a labor of love: she grows flowers and presses them to make flower cards and artwork. She has studied under the well-known potters Jack Troy, Nancy Utterback, and apprenticed with polymer artists Dan Friedlander and Ann Kruglak. Formerly a science teacher, she is currently a stay at home mom to two little girls. 

In her own words: "I've always enjoyed making art and learning about art. I took one art class every semester in college, and in the end realized I had enough credits to make it a minor. I was fortunate to meet two #polymerclay artists in Boulder, CO who were generous enough to teach me the basics of polymer clay. Through selling my art locally in about a dozen stores in Durango, CO, Santa Fe, NM, and Boulder, CO, I realized that I had my own unique style of art that people wanted to buy. 

I have sold over 3,000 pieces of art since 2012 in stores and craft shows, and am currently selling my #WineBottleStoppers in 9 olive oil stores, 4 Colorado wineries, and 7 additional stores in Colorado. I enjoy the endless possibilities that polymer clay provides. My 3 year old gets a kick out of "helping" me by turning the handle on my clay machine.

My 1 year old likes sitting on my lap while I make art. I'm fulfilling my passions of making art and being a full time mom. I plan to go back to teach high school science in a few years.. or maybe I will become a full time artist."

Her artwork can be found in two dozen stores in Durango, Boulder, Santa Fe and at these locations on the internet:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeautifiedEssentials
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83380298@N05/

No comments:

Post a Comment